Friday, February 26, 2016

Early Thaw

February 2016 has been a rather warm month. It has allowed me actual time in the garden area. The soil has nearly completely thawed. A few weeks ago, on my daily glance at the free items on Craig's List I notice a greenhouse in Filer was closing up and giving away planter pots (FOR FREE). I now have approx 400 one gallon planter pots. How could I pass up on the word "free"? 
Early winter I had covered all my raised beds with mulching leaves from the dozen trees we have at Thompson Springs Urban Farm. I laid about two inch-deep layer of mulching leaves on the strawberry bed too. I pulled all the leaves off of the strawberries to see how things are looking... I can almost taste a fresh strawberry short cake dessert. But, I'll have to wait. don't forget... it's still February.
I also took a look at the spinach plants I planted late fall. After covering with mulching leaves for the winter. To my pleasant surprise, the spinach is green and beginning to even grow again. Time to start thinking about planting early seed for more spinach salads. Of course, the onion plants have broke ground and reaching for the sky... Don't forget, Paul, it's still February.



No comments:

Post a Comment