Friday, July 1, 2011

2011 Farm Update

notice the 32 oz Sonic
Happy Hour Drink
It has been nearly a month since the last update. Temperatures have continued to be relatively cool, however the past week we have seen temperatures in the upper 80s and even a few 90s. This has helped spur on some growth.

I thought I would give some attention today to the PVC watering sticks I use for my tomatoes.

I bought four, eight foot long, 1 and 1/2 inch wide PVC pipes. I cut them in half and put an end cap on the one end of each four foot long pipe. Then I drilled a 1/16 inch hole at the base of each section. Each four foot section holds just under 2 liters of water. This allows a slower watering of the tomatoes and allows the water to seep into the ground around each tomato plant. I water each plant every other day. This also allows me to add liquid fertilizer to each plant as needed. I have eight watering sticks and 16 tomato plants with home made tomato cages. All costing approx $6.50.

Following are some pictures of the watering in process.



Progress on the other plants are coming along, slowly. Strangely, the weeds do well with hot, cool, wet, and dry weather.
Sweet Corn
New Mexico, Hatch Chili Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment